My command of English is good enough, says Law

Go down

My command of English is good enough, says Law Empty My command of English is good enough, says Law

Post by Priya on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:52 pm

GEORGE TOWN: He admits that his English needs improvement. He rates himself 60/100 in the competency level.
But state tourism exco member Danny Law feels that his command of the language is good enough.
“As long as I can get the message across and communicate, especially on policy matters, that is good enough,” he said.
And for taking English lessons to further improve his skills, Law said he would do it if he receives further criticisms from fellow executive councillors, the media and tourism industry players.
Time is the factor and going for classes is not urgent. “Out of 365 days in a year, I have to attend about 300 dinners related to my portfolio,” he told a press conference at his office in Komtar yesterday.
“I do read and speak to the media and industry players in English every day. They (media and industry players) are my teachers,” he said, adding that he used to speak Mandarin “but nowadays I speak English every day.”
Law, who returned from Macau on Tuesday, was responding to criticisms about his command of English after an e-mail alleged that he was incompetent at the recent Asia Pacific Incentives and Meetings Expo 2009 in Melbourne last month.
Law said the e-mail was sabotaged and a personal attack against him.
“It is unfair for anyone to measure my performance based merely on an e-mail. If this person wanted to comment on my level of competency, it has to be based on a list of things, not just by judging me on those two days I was in Melbourne,” he said.
He added that local industry players had never complained about his command of English or his performance.
“Even the Malaysian Association of Hotels (MAH) and Association of Tourist Attractions Penang representatives had commented that my English is good,” he said.
Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said Law had been successful in attracting tourists to Penang.
He said MAH Penang Chapter president Marco Battistotti, a European, had said that he could comprehend Law’s spoken English.
“Even the English media who frequently interview Law have had no problems understanding him.
“He uses simple Malaysian English, and does not have a pretentious accent. Perhaps this may have caused some quarters to be unduly upset.”
Priya
Priya
GodFather - Lord of NAI
GodFather - Lord of NAI

Female Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2008-02-18

Back to top Go down

My command of English is good enough, says Law Empty Re: My command of English is good enough, says Law

Post by Maya on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:39 pm

aiya... nobody is perfect.

Maya
GodFather - Lord of NAI
GodFather - Lord of NAI

Female Number of posts : 5106
Registration date : 2007-12-19

Back to top Go down

My command of English is good enough, says Law Empty Re: My command of English is good enough, says Law

Post by hashmeera on Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:29 am

Maya wrote:aiya... nobody is perfect.
I AGREE...

hashmeera

Female Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:27 am

hmmm.....his english is out. ask him to attend

English for Dummies classes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down