Yoga fatwa decision this week

Go down

Yoga fatwa decision this week

Post by Priya on Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:36 pm

PUTRAJAYA: Muslim yoga practitioners will know this week the National Fatwa Council’s edict on the exercise.
Its council chairman Datuk Dr Abdul Shukor Husin said he had already given the council a draft of the edict last week.
“I had been overseas on several trips but I understand the Islamic Development Department (Jakim) is in the process of arranging for a meeting of the council and the subsequent press conference on the matter.
“The council will return the draft to me to check for approval but practitioners will know within this week the council’s decision,” he told reporters Tuesday after attending the International Seminar on Comparative Law at the Marriott Hotel here.
Dr Abdul Shukor said the draft needed to be checked a few times because a fatwa was “equivalent to a court’s decision”.
However, he declined to say whether the edict would ban the practice, adding that the fatwa would explain everything later.
It was earlier reported that the council would come out with a ruling related to the faith of Muslims who practise yoga.
Recently, Prof Zakaria Stapa, a lecturer of Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia’s Islamic Studies Centre, advised Muslims who had taken up yoga to stop practising it for fear that they could deviate from the teachings of Islam.
Yoga, a health-related exercise, has been practised since 3,000BC and is said to help slow down ageing, reduce risk of diabetes, asthma and heart-related diseases.
Priya
GodFather - Lord of NAI
GodFather - Lord of NAI

Female Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2008-02-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down